[linux-audio-user] PC Keyboard questions

From: David Causse <nomoa@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 03 2006 - 14:52:36 EET

Hi,

I plan to make live music with a computer. My problem is I want to
control the PC with the PC keyboard. Freewheeling permits to control
with the PC keyboard.

My keyboard have some annoying limitations for example I can press at
the same time the letters 'azer', 'qsdf', 'uiop' but I am unable to
press 'rtyu' at the same time, nothing is printed. I guess it is due to
some limitations in its design. I'm afraid it's a hardware issue and I
won't find an easy workaround. I'm also afraid that this special use of
a keyboard is not the mind of manufacturers...

So what solutions do I have?
- keyboard macros : good idea but I will have to predefine everything
and I consider it as a limitation for improvisation.
- use only keys that works together, same here
- find a keyboard that works well : good idea, how to find it, how can I
explain to a pc resellers my needs...
- use midi controllers : the best professional solution, but it's to
much expensive... and I like the idea to make music with minimal
requirements.

So do you thing there is some good designed keyboard to perform this
kind of stuff?
Can some of you test their keyboard by opening a xterm and press at the
same time 'rtyu' and see if all letters are printed and whenever they
press more than one letter key all are printed in the term?

Maybe gamers should be more aware of this kind of problem :)

Thank you.

David.