[linux-audio-user] Looking for a Simple(ish) WAV editor

From: Rick Wright <riwright@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 03 2006 - 19:52:11 EET

Greetings,

I am looking for a WAV file editor that will do just a few basic
things. Ideally, the editor would allow precise cutting/pasting without
introducing gaps/silence, selection reversal, high/low pass filtering,
and (hopefully) cross-fading between segment interfaces at the cut/paste
points. I'd like to be able to export these as 32bit float WAV's.

For the interested, all I'm trying to do is to cut out sections of
various noise recordings (that don't have voices or other undesirables)
and create clips/samples that I can filter the very lowest <15Hz
frequencies from, so the result can be looped by a player without
getting "clicks/pops" at the loop wraparound. Ultimately creating a
library of "continuous" souces of various noise sources.

So far I've tried:
1) Audacity, which seems to meet my needs, but I can't figure out how to
tell it *not* to add ~3 secs of silence at the end when I export the
finished product.
2) Ardour2 (latest beta), but here we have a situation with a far more
capable application than user. I believe this app would be overkill for
my needs and the learning curve looks steep.
3) a few Win32 shareware (cr)apps.

Before I wade into the many GNU/Linux options in the GNU/Linux community
(I'll probably start in the list found here:
http://sound.condorow.net/snded.html), I had hoped some of the more
experienced members of this list might point me in promising directions.

Another avenue to possibly meet my goal could be to use a player (must
be JACK compatible) that can play continuously and cross-fade between
tracks, but have only the single WAV file in the playlist, thus
effectively looping w/cross-fading. I would appreciate any guidance
here as well. (In this case, I would still need to filter the low
frequencies from the WAV file, so I'd still need some sort of editor.)

Thanks in advance for any help,
Rick