Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: M$/SuSE/ALSA ?

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 10 2006 - 21:40:13 EET

Rob wrote:
> On Friday 10 November 2006 11:11, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
>> and will do pass the message. But, ...be warned. At the
>> slightest hint that ALSA and KDE is getting behind the
>> community idea, I will step ahead (i.e flee :)
>
> While SuSE may have contributed to KDE, Novell actually owns
> Ximian, which for all intents and purposes created GNOME. I've
> always been wary of the movement to incorporate Mono into GNOME,
> and now I'm much, much more so.

you should have read between the lines that I'm not very found of gnome
and all that. my reasoning is simple: miguel started it just because
someone told KDE was evil because Qt wasn't pure GPL at the time; then a
whole wasteful effort begun to make gnome as the official gnu/fsf
desktop; then come ximian; then miguel found that not.net was some kind
of bethelem star. go figure why people didn't stuck with (imho) higher
brained C++ and KDE just for the doctrine, go figure. :))

(what a waste of great minds) ... and what we have now?

Yes, we do still have JACK and Ardour, ALSA, KDE and Linux as true
high-tech, open-source, top-of-the-notch projects in the whole known
universe. Go catch it, corporate-BS-savvy-boys :)))

> I don't see any particular threat to Linux audio users that isn't
> also present for Linux users in general, though.

Nor do I. After all, we the guys/gals are few and numbered, but do it
for the fun and love, not for the money. Bah, did I say "love" ?

Ah, for you who that don't know me, I was a hardcore windows developer
once before. Ah, read "once" with emphasis :) thing of the
first-half-nineties, blerk!

Bottom line is, and that's not an opinion, the F/OSS (r)evolution is
already unstoppable. Evidence comes to that IBM knows it. Ultimately, MS
knows it too. And you just got to face it now?

If you stay with me, and I believe MS strategy cannot be far behind, the
OS business is already a dead-end. People are in charge. If you speak
BS-like, you can read: the customer is in charge. And don't reply that
was RH who come original with that slogan. I do remember something of
the sort from Hammer's "reengineering the corporation". Yes early
nineties gone old :)

Just for the topic, funny thing is, a copy of gamma's/GOF is still
around here somewhere and being a mid-nineties foundation truth must be
told,... I'm just an old donkey who doesn't learn new languages anymore :D

Cheers.

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc@email-addr-hidden