Re: [linux-audio-user] Cannot get qjackctl, jackd, alsa working.

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Nov 11 2006 - 15:10:08 EET

> Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>> David Froseth wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to get jackd, qjackctl, and alsa working on a pentium d
>>> desktop running ubuntu edgy. I am getting these error messages when
>>> I start qjackctl:

>>> ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit little-endian
>>> ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
>>> ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit little-endian
>>> ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
>>> 12:38:49.469 Could not connect to JACK server as client. Please check
>>> the messages window for more info.
>>> **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.024 msecs
>>> **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.012 msecs
>>> 12:38:57.669 MIDI connection change.
>>> **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.534 msecs
>>> 12:38:58.077 Could not connect to JACK server as client. Please check
>>> the messages window for more info.
>>> **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.124 msecs
>>> **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 2.709 msecs
>>> 12:39:01.196 JACK is stopping...
>>> **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 2.769 msecs
>>> jack main caught signal 15
>>> no message buffer overruns
>>> 12:39:01.333 JACK was stopped successfully.
>>>
>>> Any ideas on how to fix this?
>>>

>> There are a few possibilities.
>>
>> - How are you starting the jack server and which user - root or normal?
>>
>> - Is this the output from the qjackctrl error window or the command line?

You didn't answer to the first question, which I think is the major. You
have three possibilities:

1) run everything as root, it might work then but not recommended;
2) run everything as regular user with realtime-lsm module loaded and
properly setup;
3) run everything as regular user with pam security rlimits properly set;

Bye.

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc@email-addr-hidden