[linux-audio-user] Clicks/pops in recording

From: Chris Abbott <redfox@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 12 2006 - 00:48:37 EET

Just recently I recorded a live piano concerto. All of this was done
using an ART Pre-amp, a Soundphone(I believe is the brand) CD burner,
M-audio Omnistudio USB, and an iBook G4. Now, the pre-amp had a digital
out that went to the CD burner. The 1/4" outputs of the pre-amp went to
the M-audio which was connected to the ibook. Well, the burned CDs
turned at great(note-I had the digital sample rate set to 48Khz). I had
my Omnistudio set at 96Khz. Every so often in the recoding, you hear a
bit of pop, which to me seems like some other system resource got
priority. The only thing that occurred while recording was the display
going to sleep. The airport was off, and Ardour, X11, and JackPilot were
the only programs running. I'm curious as to what could have caused
this, how to fix it. The next time I do a recording with it, I will
probably have to drop the sample rate to 48Khz.

-Chris