Re: [linux-audio-user] Clicks/pops in recording

From: Jack O'Quin <jack.oquin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 12 2006 - 20:32:06 EET

> On Saturday 11 November 2006 23:14, Chris Abbott was like:
> > Chris Abbott wrote:
> > > Just recently I recorded a live piano concerto. All of this was done
> > > using an ART Pre-amp, a Soundphone(I believe is the brand) CD burner,
> > > M-audio Omnistudio USB, and an iBook G4. Now, the pre-amp had a digital
> > > out that went to the CD burner. The 1/4" outputs of the pre-amp went to
> > > the M-audio which was connected to the ibook. Well, the burned CDs
> > > turned at great(note-I had the digital sample rate set to 48Khz). I had
> > > my Omnistudio set at 96Khz. Every so often in the recoding, you hear a
> > > bit of pop, which to me seems like some other system resource got
> > > priority. The only thing that occurred while recording was the display
> > > going to sleep. The airport was off, and Ardour, X11, and JackPilot were
> > > the only programs running. I'm curious as to what could have caused
> > > this, how to fix it. The next time I do a recording with it, I will
> > > probably have to drop the sample rate to 48Khz.

Darwin generally has good support for realtime scheduling. Do ardour
or jackd report any xruns? How large a period size are you using?
(That can be a problem with many USB devices.) For recording, large
-p settings are generally safer.

> > I forget to mention that I was in OSX at the time all of this occurred.
> > Unfortunately, Linux doesn't support the M-Audio Omnistudio USB that well.

Many Linux users have reported problems with various M-Audio USB
devices. A pity, because their PCI devices work great. This could
very well be a device problem, but people here are unlikely to know
much about that. I certainly don't.

On 11/12/06, tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Try asking on an OSX / Darwin Audio mailing list.
> Unfortunately for you, the Linux Audio Users list doesn't provide support for
> Darwin based systems at all. Maybe worth asking at the GNU/Darwin project?

This is not entirely true. Many "Linux" audio developers actively
support OSX as well. This list is a good way to reach quite a few of
them.

However, as Tim suggests, answers to questions about Darwin
hardware support for a specific USB device are unlikely to receive
good answers here.

--
 joq