Re: [linux-audio-user] FC2->Fc3->Fc4->Fc5->FC6->FC*: it's crazy!

From: Joseph M. Gaffney <cucullin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 15 2006 - 15:12:42 EET

On Wednesday 15 November 2006 02:30, Renick Bell wrote:
> > > Do you have any problems getting the latest audio apps? (that is, not
> > > compiling, but already packaged)
> >
> > I thought the entire philosophy of Gentoo was To Compile?
>
> Somewhat true, but at least the package manager is taking care of that
> for you. People make way too big of a deal about compile times. On a
> decent modern machine, you won't be waiting that long before you can
> use an app you have just emerged.
>
> Audio on Gentoo is getting nicer by the day as a result of the rapidly
> expanding ProAudio overlay:
>
> http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

You know, I'm actually quite glad all of this was brought up. I'm building
out a pretty hefty system within the next few weeks (I'm moving now, so it
depends on how this all goes), and I'll need the latest and greatest. I'm
also a KDE guy, as I mentioned, and prefer a distribution that puts its
polish time there. Because of that, I've been considering Kubuntu,
Slackware, Gentoo, and LFS. LFS being my last possible choice.

I've used Gentoo, but my innate desire to constantly update to the latest and
greatest means compiling fairly often, and it can be irritating sometimes :)
However, considering the machine I'm building, I may just go that route - I
think a core 2 duo with plenty of ram behind it will do very well with build
times. Thanks for the link, I'll be checking it out in greater detail once I
get into the office today...

-Joseph M. Gaffney aka CuCullin