Re: [linux-audio-user] FC2->Fc3->Fc4->Fc5->FC6->FC*: it's crazy!

From: Brad Fuller <brad@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 15 2006 - 17:30:20 EET

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 11/14/06, Brad Fuller <brad@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> Do you have any problems getting the latest audio apps? (that is, not
>> compiling, but already packaged)
> No problems with that. There is now a maintained 'proaudio' overlay
> that gives access to pretty much everything I know about. (No
> promises!) you can find out more about the overlay here:
>
> http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
>
> Please note that Gentoo is a source release distro. Eventually you
> build *everything* on your system from source code. This means that to
> initially install the system you starting by downloading a small set
> of precomiled packages to get the machine to boot and then you compile
> most everything (in my case Xorg, Gnome, Firefox) you want to run.
>
> It's a lot of work but it's been very stable for me.
Thanks Mark, I'll check it out. How long does it take to start from
scratch? I have an P4 1.8 that I'd try it on.
Then, how long does it take from start (from the small set you
mentioned) to a full DAW?

Also, what is your experience with full distro upgrades?

You say you do minor upgrades while working during the day. Can you
really do real-time audio work while upgrading?

I have to admit, it sounds like a lot of crunching. What kind of
problems do you run into? My biggest complaint for running from source,
as anyone would attest, is the dependencies - secondary sources that I
have to find and compiles. When finally found, you have to compile,
and then there may be yet another problem with the dependency! This
could be a continuous problem, as you probably very well know. Is this
reasonably accommodated with Gentoo (like using a package manager)?

thanks,

brad
(are you running MythTV on Gentoo?)