Re: [linux-audio-user] FC2->Fc3->Fc4->Fc5->FC6->FC*: it's crazy!

From: Yves Potin <yves@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 15 2006 - 23:01:52 EET

Le 15 Nov à 07:30, Brad Fuller ecrivait:

> > It's a lot of work but it's been very stable for me.
> Thanks Mark, I'll check it out. How long does it take to start from
> scratch? I have an P4 1.8 that I'd try it on.
> Then, how long does it take from start (from the small set you
> mentioned) to a full DAW?

        Hi, I take permission to respond to share antother experience with
gentoo :). If you absolutely don't know gentoo, with a barely solid
knowledge of a linux system, I would say you'd need more or less one day
to get a working system (with ardour and MuSE, and other smaller audio
apps). You need to know how to compile a kernel (and patch it for real
time of course). Gentoo docs are really well written, and you need to read
them when installing, especially the handbook.
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/?catid=install (there are many translations).
        Install the pro-audio overlay, as it was said, before installing
any audio software or you'll need to recompile mostly all of them.
http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

> Also, what is your experience with full distro upgrades?

        Absolutely no problem when upgrading from 2006.0 to 2006.1, there
was just a trick to get rezound working again. Someone indicated me that
trick here, in less than a hour if I remember well :).

> You say you do minor upgrades while working during the day. Can you
> really do real-time audio work while upgrading?

        Yes. I have real time without xrun while compiling GCC, which last
for more than half an hour, like I did yesterday. But it's the same with
other very large source codes like QT or X. I check for updates everyday,
and I'm a very happy gentoo user after some years with Debian.

> I have to admit, it sounds like a lot of crunching. What kind of
> problems do you run into? My biggest complaint for running from source,
> as anyone would attest, is the dependencies - secondary sources that I
> have to find and compiles. When finally found, you have to compile,
> and then there may be yet another problem with the dependency! This
> could be a continuous problem, as you probably very well know. Is this
> reasonably accommodated with Gentoo (like using a package manager)?

        Portage with the emerge tool manages very well dependencies, I
never had to look for librairies or install libraries separately before
installing something. Instead of apt-get install <something>, you just
emerge <something> and it works quite the same way.
        You may want to consider system tools like eix, and then udept,
when you're confortable with a Gentoo system, for a very precise
dependencies, and reverse dependencies, management.
        Cheers,

Y.