Re: [linux-audio-user] [Completely OT] Help wanted for RTS game

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 19 2006 - 22:26:15 EET

On Sunday 19 November 2006 14:29, Lars Luthman wrote:
> > In these worlds, you may do shopping, checking out products,
> > you may play table tennis, water ski, walk the mountain,
> > ride a bicycle, drive a car, frag friends, etc.
>
> At the risk of sounding like a technophobe, I think I'll still
> be riding my real bicycle on real mountains. To the extent
> that I frag my friends I'll try to keep it on the internet
> though. =)

Not only that, but the whole notion of "buying products" in a
virtual world makes no sense. Why implement one of the biggest
problems with the physical world (scarcity of resources) in a
virtual world? Limitations and rules are what make games fun,
but if we're not talking about a game, why shouldn't everyone be
a god?

That's what strikes me most about things like Second Life in
contrast with earlier, more god-like (if primitive) virtual
worlds like AlphaWorld. Why create the illusion of scarcity?
Why have rich and poor people when you don't need to? Do people
really consider the divide between wealth and poverty FUN?

Rob