[linux-audio-user] Re: Presonus Firepod + Linux = ? ? ? (Peter Finnegan)

From: sevol <sevol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 20 2006 - 10:41:29 EET

First, Pete, thanks for the good news. Very nice to know. I had ran
across several threads elsewhere that were variations on, "Just got a
Firepod, when it's up & running with Linux I'll get back with a report."
- then, things wnet silent, & I wondered.

After what you wrote, I've had to do some reading. Distro choices.
Somehow I'd missed the freeBob page on working setups & the Arch/Firepod
entry. Arch looks speedy & interesting. From the opinions I read on
setting it up though, I'm afraid most of me knows I don't have the
kungfu for getting it operational, even if a little piece of me would
like to try. But with my Linux skills nearly nonexistant, I'm going to
stay off that path for now.

My experience with Gentoo was short lived. I tried it in an old box
about a year & a half ago. Even though it was reading from the install
disc in the cdrom drive, Gentoo implied it couldn't find the drive, had
a kernel panic or something, & gave up. Someone said they knew another
person who'd run into the same install failure & recomended I go with an
earlier release. The same thing. It didn't work either. Then, I gave up too.

Perhaps I'll try Gentoo later - & the Pro-Audio Overlay makes it more
attractive - but this minute I'm thinking FC 5 & Planet CCRMA. Is it
indecent to hope there'll be time to simply work with the audio tools
without an exorbidant amount of system tweaking at each step? Are you
connecting other audio hardware via JACK with Fedora? A Midi controller
of some sort? I have a Midiman 49 Key Station & would like to use it
under Linux. With Demudi, nothing would aknowledge it's existence.

Thanks,
                        underwater