Re: [linux-audio-user] Thesis: Playing and making music

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 13 2006 - 02:04:26 EET

On Tuesday 12 December 2006 13:36, John Lyon wrote:
> By the way, the highest art often includes violence, even
> extreme violence; check out Shakespeare's "MacBeth" or
> "Hamlet" or the Illiad, or Dante's "Inferno". Man, there's
> hardly anyone stnding by the end. Yet, our best and
> brightest affirm, generation after generation, that these are
> examples of High Art.

I'm about 95% sure that Shakespeare's material was in no
way "high art" when it was created. If bebop isn't considered
high art yet, I'm sure it will be soon, but it certainly wasn't
considered such when it was born.

I personally don't differentiate between "high art" and "low art"
for reasons like that.

Rob