Re: [linux-audio-user] nice piano

From: James Stone <jamesmstone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 18 2006 - 22:49:09 EET

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 03:28:45PM -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 12:22 -0800, st wrote:
> > Paul Winkler wrote:
> > > Progress:
> > > The free (beer) soundfont from
> > > http://www.pianosounds.com/freesoundfont.htm
> > > is quite usable, much better than the Roland sounds I found at
> > > hammersound. I'm gonna try the 80 MB version too, it's only $5 US.
> > >
> > > -PW
> > >

> > This is the best piano that I have yet come across (The $5 one).
> > It has velocity layers, so the quiet notes sound more mellow then
> > the loud ones. This is a must for realism in any piano sound.
>
> What do people think of the PersonalCopy soundfonts?
>
> http://www.personalcopy.com/home.htm

I have never managed to find a satisfactory GM soundfont for all
instruments that blends well.. The PC ones were OK but nothing
special. I think the FluidV3 was quite nice, but very heavy and
still not that great for blending..

As far as I remember the PersonalCopy piano sounded dreadful.
Unison was the nicest balanced of them all, but sounds very "midi
computer" style.

James