Re: [linux-audio-user] 64 studio

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 21 2006 - 02:09:16 EET

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 00:18 +0100, Malte Steiner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently gave 64 Studio a try and I am really impressed. It flys on my
> AMD Turion Laptop and everything is more snappy than under 32bit Ubuntu
> without Realtime Kernel. But I have some questions:
>
> - with the internal crappy soundcard I can go as low as 2.67ms, it
> really feels like my Hardware instruments. But with the expensive
> Hammerfall PCMCIA Card I cant get lower then 5.33 without getting xruns,

the RME cards can't run with a smaller frames-per-interrupt setting of
64. at 48kHz, thats 2.6msec round trip. any problems above that are h/w
and s/w configuration. alas, there is so much to look at its hard to
even list it all. googling for "linux real time audio latency" will find
lots of stuff to provide you with clues. note that on many laptops, you
will never solve the problems because the BIOS doesn't allow proper
control over IRQ assignments (this is true of my laptop, for example).

--p