Re: [linux-audio-user] The BIG picture

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 22 2006 - 05:43:32 EET

On 12/21/06, Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Thursday 21 December 2006 19:44, Lee Revell wrote:
> > Get a good book on doing this stuff with Pro Tools - the vast
> > majority of the material will be relevant to Ardour.
>
><SNIP>
>
> I don't think a Protools book is going to teach me about...
<SNIP>

I don't want to speak for Lee but I think maybe he's saying that the
basic setup of how a DAW app like Pro Tools and Ardour move audio
around is about 98% identical.

There are a LOT of questions on this list about how to create a basic
template, how to insert a plugin, how to use a limiter/compressor/EQ
on a track for mastering, etc. I tend to agree with Lee that even if
you don't want to run Pro Tools that sort of stuff is so similar in
function and use that an engineer cannot be hurt by knowing how it's
done in a generic sense and any Pro Tools book will help with that
level of understanding.

Just my view,
Mark