Re: [linux-audio-user] Miscellaneous hardware/software questions

From: Janina Sajka <janina@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 23 2006 - 18:33:08 EET

Gabriel Brachtel writes:
> [...]
The accessibility approach now being codified in Free Standards Group
(FSG) accessibility standards treats these objects abstractly as objects
with properties that might be exposed in numerous ways--some of which
would be nonvisual ways. That's the basis of the AT-SPI & ATK
technologies developed for Gnome 2.X and now adopted by KDE (beginning
with QT 4.2).

We have already seen these accessibility enhancements to computing
provide benefit in non-accessibility contexts. Several automated testing
tools rely heavily on this architecture to pinpoint problems. Indeed,
today's Red Hat and Suse releases, if they are less error prone, owe
their mrobustness to the ability of AT-SPI to expose problems. It seems
to me one needn't be a blind musician to find benefit in this more
generic approach either. Seems to me this might prove a readily
available mechanism for 21-Century organ-type pistons, various foot or
hand driven actuators, or even event driven actuators. That's just one
example, imho.

> > i wasn't talking about such rudimentary stuff. of course there are
> > alternatives to these basic widgets and several audio applications (even
> > free ones) have begun to support them.
> >
> > the point about a visual interface is that it acts as a "memory buffer"
> > for the user: you do not have to remember much about the structure of
> > the session because the structure is made visible on the screen. can't
> > remember precisely where you put a certain sound? how many copies of the
> > bridge riff did i put in? is the door slam before or after the creak?
> > its all there on the screen, just waiting for you to look at it.

Well, yes, but that doesn't necessarily result in smarter use or smarter
navigation of the neighborhood. If you ever get lost in some unfamiliar
city, ask a blind person how to get somewhere. You're likely to get
superior directions. If sighted people are so good at navigation, why is
the GPS navigational aid business such a success?

Janina

--
Janina Sajka				Phone: +1.202.595.7777
Marketing the Owasys 22C talking screenless cell phone in the U.S. and Canada--Go to http://ScreenlessPhone.Com to learn more.