Re: [linux-audio-user] nice piano

From: Paul Winkler <pw_lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 02 2007 - 06:53:19 EET

A mini-review for those also looking for decent piano soundfonts:

So far with help from this list I've found the following usable,
in order of preference:

1) WST25FStein_00Sep22.SF2
Free and quite natural-sounding to my ears,
from http://www.pianosounds.com/freesoundfont.htm

2) TrachtmanSteinC_XFade2_2001Aug16.sf2
$5 US, by far the most "hi-fi" of the three, but a bit
bright for my taste, also it's recorded a bit lower so you'll need to
increase the output volume.
from http://www.pianosounds.com/

3) NS_Piano.sf2
Free, has pleasant tone, if a bit lacking in the bass and treble;
also the stereo image is very narrow, almost mono.
the creator describes it as "a natural, woody, mellow sounding piano",
from http://www.naturalstudio.co.uk/ns_piano.html

--
Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com