Re: [linux-audio-user] nice piano

From: The Other <sstubbs@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 02 2007 - 16:04:20 EET

On Monday 01 January 2007 10:53 pm, Paul Winkler wrote:
> A mini-review for those also looking for decent piano soundfonts:
>
> So far with help from this list I've found the following usable,
> in order of preference:
>
> 1) WST25FStein_00Sep22.SF2
> Free and quite natural-sounding to my ears,
> from http://www.pianosounds.com/freesoundfont.htm
>
> 2) TrachtmanSteinC_XFade2_2001Aug16.sf2
> $5 US, by far the most "hi-fi" of the three, but a bit
> bright for my taste, also it's recorded a bit lower so you'll need
> to increase the output volume.
> from http://www.pianosounds.com/
>
> 3) NS_Piano.sf2
> Free, has pleasant tone, if a bit lacking in the bass and treble;
> also the stereo image is very narrow, almost mono.
> the creator describes it as "a natural, woody, mellow sounding
> piano", from http://www.naturalstudio.co.uk/ns_piano.html

At $35 USD, StudioAX's Grand Piano One soundfont has pleased me since
the mid 1990's. It's available only through Internet download. The
following link takes you to the download section where you can listen
to MP3 demos. All upgrades are free and have worked for me since I
first got version 1.1.

http://studioax.desertsites.net/download.html

Stephen.