Re: [linux-audio-user] status of ams

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 08 2007 - 03:17:39 EET

On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 04:37:21PM -0500, Rob wrote:

> I've tried to recreate that kind of instrument using the various
> modular synths under Linux. But the truth is, while I know how
> to tweak filter knobs and stuff on a real synth to get the sound
> I want, I've never been able to recreate that sort of Moog or
> Arp sound that is the whole reason I use simulations of analog
> synths in the first place.

Some of the sounds created by Matthias came *very* close to e.g.
to the classical Moog sounds. One of the key factors IIRC was
the use of the high-pass filter plugin module, which was also my
last contribution to AMS.

On of the last things that Matthias added to AMS was a user-defined
view of a subset of the zillions of controls that you can have in
a complex patch, and a preset system referring only to the controls
present in that view. This allows you to create a simple interface
to a patch and forget about the signal flow window and its modules.

Unfortunately that system - practical as it is - was added without
much consideration for the consequences of how it was implemented,
and so it became one of the obstacles to a much needed reworking
of AMS.

--
FA
Lascia la spina, cogli la rosa.