Re: [linux-audio-user] status of ams

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+la@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com>
Date: Thu Jan 11 2007 - 12:46:52 EET

Jay Vaughan wrote:

> I also work in low level C code, and ARM assembler, and have
> extensive experience working with gcc, F/OSS tools, distributions,
> and the Linux kernel, since the day of the minix-list post..
>
> In the #gp2xdev scene, we have pressed into use every gcc version
> from 2.95.3 to 4.2 in order to get better, faster, leaner ARM code on
> the GP2X (these are game coders who don't mind writing their own OS
> if it pushes pixels a little faster) .. For sure, there are things
> you can do with gcc on ARM that will result in fat, bloated, un-fast
> code.. just as there are things you can do with it that will run
> lean, fast and mean.
>
> Your generalization is negatively bias'ed on the basis of second hand
> details and in my opinion should not be parleyed without direct
> experience. Ask your pals about gcc 4.1.

Ok, your direct experience trumps mine which admittedly about 3
years old. I'll quiz my contacts on their opinion on gcc-4.2 on
ARM.

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo
Diana West for President of the United States
http://www.washtimes.com/op-ed/20060817-091447-7758r.htm
http://www.washtimes.com/op-ed/20060824-084015-5082r.htm