Re: [linux-audio-user] status of ams

From: Jay Vaughan <jayv@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 11 2007 - 12:54:33 EET

>Ok, your direct experience trumps mine which admittedly about 3
>years old. I'll quiz my contacts on their opinion on gcc-4.2 on
>ARM.
>Erik

Please let us hear what they have to say about it .. I think there's
a lot of generally negative critical opinion about the efficacy of
ARM for processing-related tasks, and the facts of the matter are
that an ARM-based machine can do some kick-ass things in the audio
world .. its not a matter of it needing to be 'the fastest', but
'fast enough', and especially if you consider the price and
availability of ARM machinery, there's not much to be said about it:
it kicks ass.

Soon as I finish gadget_audio for the GP2X, for example, I'm going to
have 3 new portable effects plugins/synthesis engines sitting on my
desk for use with my DAW .. for less than half the price of a
comparable turnkey system.

--
;
Jay Vaughan