Re: [linux-audio-user] abusive audio, will it blow up the PA?

From: carmen <_@email-addr-hidden-your.name>
Date: Fri Jan 12 2007 - 00:42:10 EET

On Thu Jan 11, 2007 at 11:12:42PM +0100, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been playing with fastbreeder, and am extremely pleased with the truly wonderful noises it can do (thanks Dave!!!!)
>
> However looking at some of the results in mhwaveedit it seems that it's injected with electrical/non-acoustic phenomenons like dc-offset and low frequencies. I'm wondering how a home stereo and/or a
> large PA would react to such sounds? Is there anything I should/could do to prevent black smoke from coming out of amplifiers and speakers (ears would be ok :-))? Or should I simply not worry.
>
> I put a sample at http://atte.dk/download/fb_abuse_groove_3.ogg if someone wants to have a look for themselves what I'm referring to...

i played it at the loudest volume (including "External Amplifier" boost) on my MSI MS-1013, and the onboard speakers suffered no ill effects. in fact i think stuff sounds better now

on really expensive speakers, ones youre afraid you might destroy, they praobly already have various crossover/fuse/compressor safeguards on the amplification chain. but im sure no safeguard is perfect