Re: [linux-audio-user] DeMuDi status? Distribution for gig synth?

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 14 2007 - 18:52:24 EET

Hallo,
Larry Troxler hat gesagt: // Larry Troxler wrote:

> Thanks Frank, for the information that most of the DeMuDi packages are
> in standard Debian. However, one of my goals is to limit the time I need
> to spend in setup and configuration. And it seems that there would be a
> bit of work in trimming out all of the debian apps that I don't need,
> and in other customizations, like tuning the disk cache, cron jobs, even
> window manager configuration, etc.

Debian doesn't install all packages it provides (which would be way
too many packages anyway). You can install a very minimal Debian
system and work up your way from there. Actually I would recommend to
go that route anyway, as you surely would want to run a Debian
"testing" system, which you can get to by installing a "stable"
minimal, and then upgrading.

Of course the more minimal your system is, the more customization you
need to to by hand, but Debian preserves customizations during
upgrades as good as possible. That's actually the nice thing about
Debian: YOu just install it once, then you only need to do upgrade
(I'm doing this for several years now on my main machine.)

Another approach here might be Ubuntu, which is largely preconfigured.
However I'm not a big Ubuntu fan and I just went through the not
completely painfree task of converting my Ubuntu laptop to a real
Debian laptop again by cross-upgrading.

Ciao