Re: [linux-audio-user] Multi-channel audio with a computer front end

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 15 2007 - 17:54:17 EET

On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 15:02 -0700, Bearcat M. Sandor wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I will be building an audiophile/home theater system soon. I'm starting with
> 2-channel and want to make my way up to 4 (i don't like center channels).
> I'm using my computer as the front end. I'd like to use USB, Firewire or
> wireless as my "transmission lines".
>
> As far as multichannel goes, i'd imagine that even if i split audio into front
> and back and sent each to a wireless Slim Devices Transporter (
> http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_transporter.html) that the two tranporters
> would not be in synch.

you seem to have this a little backwards, or else i'm not remembering a
key difference between the transporter and its little brother the
squeezebox.

in its primary designed-for mode, you don't send an audio signal stream
to the transporter. the transport fetches audio data from the computer
via networking protocols, and then delivers an audio signal to your
amplification equipment.

it does appear that you can send an audio signal to the transport via
either a TOSlink/RCA/AES connector. presumably you'd do this if you want
to use the A/D's in the transporter. but .... the transport has only
stereo converters and outs, so the only signal you'd be sending it would
be stereo.

in other words, i'm totally confused by your goals.

--p