Re: [linux-audio-user] Monitoring (processed) input during playpack in Ardour

From: Cesare Marilungo <cesare@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 28 2007 - 22:36:00 EET

Paul Davis wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-01-28 at 15:14 +0000, Cesare Marilungo wrote:
>
>> Is there a way, in Ardour (I've just compiled 2beta10), to listen
>> (monitor the input of) a track while playing back the other tracks with
>> software monitoring (and thus having the input sound processed in
>> realtime through some ladspa effects)?
>>
>> I can hear the input while recording (obviously), but sometimes I want
>> to play over the tracks I've already recorded without recording a new
>> track. This is how other DAWs I've used behave.
>>

> Options->Monitoring->Software Monitoring
>
> perhaps?
>
> people also get confused by the action of Auto Input, which just goes to
> show you can't please all of the people all of the time - many studio
> engineers want auto input and can't understand why systems don't have
> it. so you might try turning that off and see if the behaviour becomes
> more clear to you.
>
> --p

In fact I've been confused by this default behavior. If I turn 'Auto
Input' off, everything works as I expected. It's sad that I've
discovered this functionality only now.

Thanks.

By the way, the Ardour 2 GUI is really nice and clean. And it gets
better at every release.

Also, I'm happy to see that the fundraising is going well.

-c

--
http://www.cesaremarilungo.com