Re: [linux-audio-user] cross platform FOSS audio software list

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 30 2007 - 10:21:05 EET

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 11:52:32PM -0500, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> On 1/29/07, Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >
> >On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 03:30:59PM -0500, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> >> I think jackd and Rosegarden are strictly Linux. And Alsa Modular Synth,
> >> fwiw.
> >> My favorite audio apps are Csound and Pure Data, both amazing FOSS
> >> audio apps, but not exactly mainstream or friendly. Extremely
> >> powerful, though.
> >> http://www.csounds.com
> >> http://puredata.info
> >>

> >A lot of people rave about these. But what do they *do*? What do they
> >sound like? It seems like they're audio programming languages. What things
> >have people built/recorded with them?
> >
> >Is there a "Made with [Csound|PD|Max/MSP]" somewhere?
>
> They are indeed audio programming languages. Lots of people use them
> to study Digital Signal Processing and digital filters. I used Pure
> Data to create a sequencer for alternate tuning systems that fit my
> needs, as none existed that did. I think Pure Data's strength is its
> data structures, which allow you to make a list of any number of
> qualities for lists of items; I used them for the notes in my system,
> and plan on using them for automations. People also use Pd to do
> video manipulations, which I don't know much about.
> Just from what I know, Csound does granular, FM, mixing, MIDI, all
> kinds of filtering (there are LOTS of kinds), AM, scanned synthesis,
> waveguide, wave terrain, formant synthesis, FFT, phase vocoding,
> convolution, morphing, sample playback, and dynamics processing. It
> does more that I don't understand too. One thing I love is that it
> can play any frequency whatsoever, not just the Big 12. This is all
> in addition to the usual math and "if" statement stuff of regular
> programming languages.
>
> There used to be a pretty extensive set of internet radio shows with
> all Csound stuff at csounds.com, but none of them seem to be there
> now. This guy has some good Pure Data stuff:
>
> http://obiwannabe.co.uk/html/music/music.html

God DAMN that is good stuff! "George Bush smoked my bluegrass" made me shout, YEAH!

> I think you have to use Pure Data to hear his compositions, though.

Nope, he's got MP3's there.

> I think Tobias Enhaus' Csound piece here is the best one:
> http://www.csounds.com/compositions/index.html

That's indeed an outstanding composition. That vocoder sound was made in csound? Hmm.

> I'm embarrassed that I can't produce more examples, but it is true
> that both Csound and Pd can sound like absolutely anything. The
> distinction is in how they're used more than what they do.

That makes sense. The examples you provided have been sufficient to pique my interest. I enjoyed listening and it seems I can download the "source" (osc and sco files for Csound, pd files for, uh, PD), and learn quite a lot from them.

Again, thanks.

- -ken