Re: [linux-audio-user] cross platform FOSS audio software list

From: Chuckk Hubbard <badmuthahubbard@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 30 2007 - 09:05:07 EET

On 1/30/07, Chris McCormick <chris@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Alright, I'll have a look there and pick a few select apps to point
> people at. I guess the main thing is that these people are academics
> and practicioners, not tech people. They don't care or know about
> compiling. They might have a hard time getting into something like Pd
> or Csound even. I was hoping for a short list of apps like Audacity
> which are user friendly and quickly understandable and Free and cross
> platform. Things like Firefox that regular people will go "Wow, this
> is Free!?"

These are the people I hang out with too. I forgot an obvious one:
ZynAddSubFX. That's relatively mainstream friendly. If you want
friendlier than that, I think Audacity pretty much covers everything
except stuff like CD players. Lilypond is cross-platform, but again
not very friendly.
Ardour would be a great example, if it ran on Windows. lol, your
question turned out to be a painful one.
I just looked and apparently ZynAddSubFX doesn't work so well on Mac. lol

-Chuckk