Re: [linux-audio-user] cross platform FOSS audio software list

From: Chris McCormick <chris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 30 2007 - 07:28:14 EET

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 06:36:28AM +1100, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> Chris McCormick wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
>
> Hi Chris :-).

Hi Erik! :)

> > Someone on another list I'm subscribed to has recently posted a message
> > saying "check out this awesome software I found for Mac OSX" with a link
> > to Audacity.
>
> I think you should point out that Audacity started development on
> Linux. You should also mention that Audacity uses libsndfile,
> libsamplerate and LADSPA which all started on Linux.

Cool, will do.

> > I'd like to post back giving examples of lots of other great
> > cross platform FOSS audio apps and say a bit about why FOSS is nice. Is
> > there a concise list somewhere I can link to? Or do people just want to
> > tell me their favorite bits of cross platform mainstream friendly audio
> > software?
>
> I think most Linux audio apps can compile and run on OSX and then point
> them to the Linux audio apps page. Be prepared to blow their minds.

Alright, I'll have a look there and pick a few select apps to point
people at. I guess the main thing is that these people are academics
and practicioners, not tech people. They don't care or know about
compiling. They might have a hard time getting into something like Pd
or Csound even. I was hoping for a short list of apps like Audacity
which are user friendly and quickly understandable and Free and cross
platform. Things like Firefox that regular people will go "Wow, this
is Free!?"

Cheers for the tips!

Chris.

chris@email-addr-hidden