Re: [linux-audio-user] cross platform FOSS audio software list

From: Chuckk Hubbard <badmuthahubbard@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 30 2007 - 19:12:34 EET

On 1/30/07, Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> IMHO, its still a real embarrasment to the entire family of miller
> puckette-derived visual programming languages that the petty disputes
> between each branch of the family tree have gone on for this long. i can
> only hope that pd will continue to increase in popularity until
> Cycling74 has no choice but to sit down and talk about how to get
> everyone back in the same boat. not that likely, i think.

Yeah doesn't sound likely. For me the deciding factor is Pd's data
structures, allowing it to remember and graphically represent any
pattern of variables. Max has something it calls data structures, but
it's not the same thing at all.
I haven't used Max much, but its advantage seems to be its high-level
functions. It just has more built-in commands. In Pd these are
usually kept in external libraries that have to be loaded
individually.
Csound, on the other hand, has hundreds of opcodes, and can be
controlled directly from Pd with the csoundapi~ external. I'm
starting to use this more.

-Chuckk

--
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing."