Re: [linux-audio-user] ardour and mp3?

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 04 2007 - 00:33:42 EET

On Sat, 2007-02-03 at 14:15 -0800, Ken Restivo wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 04:39:31PM -0500, Matt Price wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > just starting to use ardour2 for production (thanks everyone for the
> > help) and running into a little frustration with the mp3 files from my
> > recorder. ardour of course doesn't import from mp3; I can, I suppose,
> > convert the files to mp3 one at a time when I want to, but I wonder if
> > there's a more fluid way of e.g. converting files when they're uploaded,
> > or at least converting all files in a particular folder or something.
> > are there other people out there who have to deal with a similar
> > situation?
> >

> No big deal. Here's the bash one-liner I use:
>
> for i in `ls /path/to/your/mp3s`; do F=`basename $i`; mpg123 -r 48000 -w $F $i; done
>
> Obviously, change the /path/to/your/mp3s to wherever they are, and change 48000 to whatever rate you have ardour and jack set to.

a warning to all who write such scripts (including me). they will very,
very often break with mp3 files that are named from CD rips because of
embedded spaces. for example, in the little script i just posted, i
should have used "$@" not "$*" for precisely this reason.

long time *nix users will know that spaces have always been legal in
file names; new *nix users won't know that the oldtimers have never
really used them :)

--p