Re: [linux-audio-user] Pd Book

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 04 2007 - 15:56:04 EET

Peter Plessas wrote:

> The pd-graz community is proud to announce the release of the free
> download version of the "bang | Pure Data" book.
>
> Grab your copy at: http://pd-graz.mur.at/label/book01

Very cool news. However, interested persons should be advised that the
bangbook is definitely *not* a Pd tutorial. Some articles have little to
do with Pd directly, the overall intent of the book is more
sociological and philosophical than practical, and much verbiage is
expended on relating Pd to current media theory and cultural anthropology.

dp's favorite parts: Frank Barknecht's article on RRADicalism, the
interview with Miller Puckette, and Susanne Schmidt's article on why
people write free software. YMMV, of course.

In the opinion of this writer/user Pd's many excellent examples still
provide the best Pd tutorial.

There are revealing photos too, taken at the last Pd convention. I see
some familiar faces there, looking older and wiser these days... :)

I intend to mention the book in my next blog for LJ. I don't plan to
write a full review, but I will recommend it (with the appropriate caveat).

Best,

dp