Re: [linux-audio-user] gstreamer, rhythmbox, and mp3

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 06 2007 - 05:41:31 EET

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 22:34 -0500, carmen wrote:
> > >it solves a number of problems that nobody
> > >else has bothered to solve.
> >
> > Like what? I play media stuff of all kinds without GStreamer even installed.
>
> what happens when your card doesn't have dmix, and gstreamer is
> already playing a stream at 48khz to hw:0,1, and another app wants to
> play a 44.1 khz beep to the same output. does it via some mutex/IPC
> magic switch over to software mixing the two streams, without
> requiring a resident sound daemon? if so, i'd consider that a solved
> problem that nobody else wanted to tackle..

gstreamer doesn't solve that problem. far from it. other than the fact
that it can talk to some audio sinks that do solve it.

the kinds of problem i am referring to have to do mostly with complex
sync cases when an app is playing two streams (e.g. video + audio) and
needs to maintain careful sync no matter what the downstream data
pathway looks like. also, it has some abilities to split and recombine
data streams in ways that are not useful for everyday use but can be
very handy in a toolbox.finally, the existence of *legal* MP3 codecs for
gst from fluendo (with other codecs to come) should not be overlooked.

i am by no means a gstreamer fanboy, but i do think that the gst
architecture has evolved over quite a significant period to be able to
do things that, AFAIK, no other media framework on linux does.

--p