[linux-audio-user] gstreamer, rhythmbox, and mp3

From: Victor Roetman <vroetman@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 05 2007 - 21:59:29 EET

I've been using rhythmbox for listening to my mp3 files on my Ubuntu
laptop. Mostly this was because it supports daap sharing, and gives me
a nice interface for choosing songs. It works well except I've been
having sound quality problems.

I seem to get some minor distortion, and some pops and cracks when
playing a lot of my mp3 files. I took one especially problematic file
and played it with alsaplayer and had no troubles (at a louder volume
even). I'm about 98% sure that somehow gstreamer is peaking/clipping,
even when the volume is way down.

Banshee, I've noticed, does the same thing.

mpg123 and mpg321 seem to have no problems. xine engine of amarok seems
to work.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this? Is this a problem with
gstreamer in general? What's going on here? What's with the levels
that it would clip when it's not even loud?

(and I really wish there was a jack backend for gstreamer)

Any comments, suggestions? Does anyone here follow gstreamer at all?

--
-= =- vroetman@email-addr-hidden -= =-