Re: [linux-audio-user] gstreamer, rhythmbox, and mp3

From: Peteris Krisjanis <pecisk@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 06 2007 - 10:34:12 EET

> This interested me... How is it that they have a 'legal' MP3 codec for Linux?-
> They paid some royalty?- I doubt it'd be as straight-forward as that.... ??
> Is it a commercial codec?? :o Curious.....

Just ask Christian (by nick Uraeus) at irc.freenode.net/#gstreamer.
AFAIK, They stroke a deal, for MP3 codec it was propably easy, because
MP3 patent owners claims you can use MP3 codec for free in open source
apps. For other codecs you must pay 7 Euros or for packages it was
more than that. Check out www.fluendo.com Webshop for prices.

They all are meant to be _legal_ (properly licensed, specifications,
etc.). That is whole catch with Fluendo offer. For anyone living in
software patent regime and dealing with big Linux desktop migrations
it is very good offer, I think.

--
mortigi tempo
Pēteris Krišjānis