[linux-audio-user] Spring reverb?

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 07 2007 - 21:53:42 EET

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

I am working on a tune that needs surf guitar. The CAPS AMP IV does a great Fender Twin, and the #4 cabinet in CAPS Cabinet II seems to do pretty well as a 2x12 open-back Fender cab. But the classic surf guitar sound of course includes the high-pitched plinking of a Fender Twin reverb spring slapping against its metal case. If you haven't heard it, it's kind of like entering the V'Ger central core, but really high-pitched and fast, and in 16th notes while double-picking.

Picking out a muted barre chord into a spring reverb turned up way too high, you can definitely *hear* the springs.

This post hints tantalizingly about someone having created a Csound orc that emulates a spring reverb:

http://lalists.stanford.edu/lad/2002/07/0252.html

Anyone know if this is true, and where I could find it?

I'd love a LADSPA plugin, but a csound orc would do fine if it's RT safe. I don't do VST's, so if that's the only option then I'll probably head down to a guitar repair shop and talk someone into selling me a spring reverb unit out of an old amp, that I can use as a send. That'd be the simple solution.

The long, complicated solution would be to take an advanced maths course and learn DSP. Come to think of it, are there any books that could be recommended as a gentle introduction to the math grounding needed for doing DSP. Best would be something geared towards people who know programming but were sleeping during Calculus 101 because they were up all night playing music...

- -ken
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFFyi5Ge8HF+6xeOIcRAku9AJoDiasGx/ZeXSCIbCh4HrlT4JcDUgCg9pCQ
l6WGk1iKBWyDsRF0nygSa8w=
=Y6hr
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Received on Thu Feb 8 00:15:02 2007

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : Thu Feb 08 2007 - 00:15:04 EET