Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux music editor, less than 16-bit ?

From: Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 23 2007 - 02:25:58 EET

> carmen hat gesagt: // carmen wrote:
> > i'm thinking of picking up the new korg pocket DSD recorder

I dunno, looks like it uses a lot of proprietary formats. I've made some
great recordings with the M-Audio MicroTrack 24/94 digital recorder.
   http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MicroTrack2496-main.html

It sounds great, and mounts like any USB storage device, making file
transfer trivial. It will record in MP3 format, but I've always used
WAV, usually 44.1K/16bit so I don't have to convert before burning a CD,
but have also done 96K/24bit. Both worked well, though I didn't think
there was enough difference to justify the extra space used. I got a
2GB microdrive for it, which will record 3h22m @ 16/44 and 1h33m at 24/96,
so there's plenty of time available. For shows I've recorded where I've
needed more time, I just fire up the thinkpad, download the files so
far, wipe the disk and begin again.

There's a review with more technical diagrams than you can shake a stick
at here: http://www.sonicstudios.com/mt2496rv.htm

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh@email-addr-hidden