Re: [linux-audio-user] ANN: JOST, a simple host for native VST

From: Ketil Thorgersen <linuxuadio@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 26 2007 - 18:25:56 EET

Paul Davis skrev:
> On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 14:18 +0100, Michael Bohle wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> The italian DJ and Developer Lucio Asnaghi has made a first preview of simple
>> host for native VST on Linux. Native VST for Linux was founded first by
>>

> native VST for linux has yet to produce anything concrete at all,
> AFAICT. developers of VST plugins are *not* writing plugins for linux.
> if you wanted to make native VST on linux easier, the sensible thing to
> do is to implement VSTGUI on top of X11 and/or one or more contemporary
> toolkits.
>
> if the "best native Linux VST plugins for testing" are the MDA plugins,
> then i would have to say that this hasn't accomplished a lot.
>

>> Jorgen Aase /EnergyXT2, but the communication is problematic (also other devs
>> reported that Jorgen didn't anwer to any mail), so Lucio decided to make an
>> own host, based on the framework JUCE , because he porting a lot of VST
>> Synths to Linux. (he also made a great port from ZynAdd Windows VST back to
>> Linux VST)
>>
>> It shall be released in March under an open licence. He will build up this
>> small host JOST (Jack hOST) to a instrumentrack with basic sequencer
>> functions. Later he will build up a full sequencer named "Juggler", which
>> should be near to the commercial Tracktion. (JUCE is the framework behind
>> Tracktion1)
>>

> really. fascinating. and just how long do you imagine this might take?
> how long do you think traktion took to create? how many people do you
> think work on Traktion at the moment?
>
> there are already a few JACK-aware VST hosting sequencers/DAWs. there is
> already DSSI. there is already a DSSI-VST bridge. there is already a
> run-VST-plugin-as-JACK-client host. what do you actually think is gained
> by starting up yet another project to do this?
>
> mike taht told me a cute story of how he spoke at a conference somewhere
> and asked everyone in the room how many of them had their own projects
> going on. Everyone in the room raised their hands. mike said that he
> didn't have to guts to ask "Does anyone ever think that maybe there are
> too many projects?". he did raise the idea that it would be really good
> for *everyone* if people would give some of their attention to other
> projects periodically. i plead guilty to not doing this, its true.

This seem to me a very strange post! Why this frustration! Here this guy
is actually trying to improve what he (and probably others) figures is a
problem within the world of linux. So he begins to write a program to
fix it instead of moaning about it. And then he announces it - only to
get bashed by one of the key figures in the linux audio world. Strange!

Best regards
Ketil Thorgersen