[linux-audio-user] composing with trackers

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 28 2007 - 14:55:40 EET

Greetings:

I have no idea if anyone's ever used a tracker to create a hit song, but
it is unfortunate that trackers are usually associated with a particular
style of music. I have heard some very cool stuff in module formats,
though I'll agree that most of the music-made-with-trackers that I've
heard tends towards rather uninteresting dance beat music. I don't
believe that trackers necessarily impose any kind of style restriction,
you can bend them into doing non-beat oriented stuff. Kuno's "Substantia
Grisea" is an excellent example.

Developers are often surprised at what users wind up doing with their
tools.

Trackers seem to have come along at a time just before cheap samplers
hit the market, which might have drawn attention away from the
developing tracker communities. Nevertheless, those communities remain
strong, a lot of people like to make music with trackers, and I don't
think they're overly concerned with their lack of popular success. ;)

Best,

dp