[linux-audio-user] Alsa Configuration, changing defaults on an Audiophile 2496

From: Bill Adair <adair@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 28 2007 - 15:53:01 EET

Hello All

I have an M-audio Audiophile 2496 and can happily route
my playback either to it's internal mixer (PCM Out) or
to SPDIF (SPDIF Out) using a command like aplay -Dplug:spdif myfile.wav.

What I can't do is set up the default output to be SPDIF so that players
like
flac123 play automatically to SPDIF. I've been routing throught the docs
now
and found the command I need for my .asoundrc

pcm.!default {
      type plug
      slave.pcm "spdif"
}

but this doesn't work and all the net examples are to do with dmix and
routing
to hardware that has spdif split out in it's driver.

Any help appreciated, I will then add the details to the wikis...

Bill