Re: [linux-audio-user] What purpose does this list serve?

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 02 2007 - 02:40:05 EET

On Thursday 01 March 2007 11:52, Greg Wilder wrote:
> Between the repeated calls to see a clone of Ableton on Linux,
> machismo arguments about the finer points of DSP theory, and
> the overzealous ego stroking of "I wanna sound like my
> favorite band, but I don't play well enough..." amateur
> musicians - what purpose does this list serve?

Personally, I'm subscribed to the list to see announcements of
promising tools I would otherwise have never heard of.... and to
keep an easily searchable local archive for when I do foolish
things like try to get low latency, JACK, ALSA and Timidity all
working together. That has proved invaluable to me in the past.

> Shouldn't this be a place to explore serious Linux-related
> musical topics that look to the wealth of unique and versatile
> Linux-based tools...

In my experience, lists organically turn into the sum of the
wishes of the participants.... and when those wishes come into
conflict, they cancel each other out and you're left with noise.

> How best to incorporate "live" web
> resources in a GNU/Linux powered installation?

I actually have no idea what you're even talking about here, but
I retrieve web pages programmatically all the time in my
non-audio-related coding. Is this a nice way of asking how to
record webcasts or something?

> What "AI" tools
> are available to aid in the design of an intelligent
> improvising partner?

Can't speak for anyone else, but I have no interest in this topic
whatsoever (or anything else involving live performance or
improv.)

> Which application/design solutions work
> best for interactive sound design? What's the future of
> ambisonic audio looking/sounding like?

These sound more like something I would talk about on a game
developer's list, myself.

> "When will someone produce a chart-topping hit with Ardour" is
> _not_ a serious or productive topic and has _nothing_ to do
> with the reality of the industry.

While I have no interest in that topic either, not every
major-label artist or producer with a computer uses Protools and
it's interesting to talk about what could be done to make our
tools more acceptable to people not on this list.

In any case, why not just start talking about what's of interest
to you? If no one responds after a number of posts over a
number of weeks, then you'll know you're barking up the wrong
tree. If they do, then congratulations, you've improved the
list AND moved it in a direction more interesting to yourself.

Rob