Re: [linux-audio-user] jack midi vs alsa midi

From: Dmitry Baikov <dsbaikov@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 02 2007 - 20:15:54 EET

On 3/2/07, Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just realized my post got burred in another thread, so here goes in a
> fresh thread:
If so, I'll repost my answer.

On 3/2/07, Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nedko Arnaudov wrote:
> > Having audio and MIDI perfectly synchronized is a must in my
> > vision. There is no point of using JACK if you use ALSA too.
> Really?
YES.

> I haven't yet used it, and think alsa midi works just fine. Exactly
> where (real world scenarios, please) is jack-midi superior the the
> degree that the current approach is pointless?
1) Freewheeling jack mode. Try to do a faster-than-realtime midi
project mixdown to audio without jackmidi and show your results.
2) With alsa midi (or any other non-sample syncronous midi transport)
every application in fact implements jackmidi by itself (by having a
non-trivial midi handling thread).
3) Even if 2) is OK for you, it can't reach jackmidi in terms of
inter-application timing.

> And I'd also like to hear a quick hand up: Who's using jack midi
> exclusively and who's using alsa midi?
jackmidi still lacks that range of software that alsamidi has.
Nonetheless, starting a new midi project without jackmidi support is a sabotage.

IMHO.

Dmitry.