Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: composing with trackers

From: Chuckk Hubbard <badmuthahubbard@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 06 2007 - 20:39:43 EET

On 3/4/07, Louis Gorenfeld <louis.gorenfeld@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hi Chuck,
> In a tracker, you don't have to write in 4/4-- you can freely change the
> lengths of each pattern and even cut patterns short with a simple command.
> How intuitive this is depends on both the user and the program. Also, notes

It's an extra step to not write in 4/4; which is not the case sitting
at a piano. That's all I'm saying.

> As to the comment that you can only produce "retarded dance music" with a
> tracker,

I NEVER said that. Why on Earth would you misquote me like that??
I said:
"If you've never written music, and you don't own any instruments, and
you open a program for the first time that shows you 8 divisions per
measure with a steady beat, you'll probably make a lot of music before
you discover what other options are available. Multiply this by a
million users, and you've got the makings of a long-term association
with RDM (retarded dance music)."

I'm explaining why people have negative associations with trackers,
and why I have tended to avoid them. At no point did I say they were
bad or that they only make RDM. Do not say I said things I didn't
say.

-Chuckk

--
http://www.badmuthahubbard.com