Re: [linux-audio-user] Logo for the Linux Sound & MIDI Software Wiki

From: Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 07 2007 - 11:19:40 EET

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 01:24:12AM +0100, Nick Copeland wrote:

> >you get my drift about it looking generic, right?

I had a waveform in there before, but Ico found it too blurry
while I didn't want to make it more complicated to avoid it
becoming competition to the letters.

> I more than second that opinion. Music is about movement, sound, energy,
> dance, poetry, romance, sex and rock and roll. I don't feel that a blue box
> with the text apps really reflects any of that, and if the association that
> you want to make about what linux brings to music then perhaps this does
> not quite hit the mark. The graphics are good, they are actually 'today',
> but I don't think they are representative.

Does this logo even suggest I wanted to express any of "movement, sound,
energy, dance, poetry, romance, sex and rock and roll"? Well, reagrding
sound, see previous version. Otherwise do you think I'm that incompetent?

The logo is meant to express that it's about APPLICATIONS. A pretty
generic concept. With a waveform in the background, I don't consider
it important to express sound in the logo too.

Also the logo doesn't stand for linuxaudio, it stands for this particular
sub-site, emphasizing the one specific thing about it: apps.
This site is all about organisation, categorisation. Thus I'm fine if
the logo has a touch of 'office'.

If people disagree with the above, I will just stop. You can have
my work executed to my best knowledge or nothing at all.

It's interesting to see how well received the logo was before.
If it's dull now, it was dull before, but no one said so.

> If linux really wants to bring anything to the music scene it really does
> not want to associate itself with anything quite so, well, boring. It looks
> just a little bit too much 'microsoft office'. Anyway, this is only a logo
> for one site, no? If people thinks is looks dull (apps?) then they can
> always look for another site.....

Oh sure. people browse from site to site until the find a logo they like.

--
Thorsten Wilms
Thorwil's Creature Illustrations: