Re: [linux-audio-user] What laptops do the devs have?

From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 09 2007 - 02:43:15 EET

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 12:49:46AM +0100, Robin Gareus wrote:

> second that! i945GM on Lenovo X60s works just fine.
>
> the laptop worked almost instantly with Linux incl. suspend+hibernate,
> 2nd Video-Head, wireless, etc. stock debian kernel. - the integrated
> speaker however is embarrassing!

Yeah, the R50s integrated speaker was bad as well now that you mentioned
it. I usually used it with headphones except for the few times it was
hooked to a PA.

> realtime-2.6.20 + hibernate are still somewhat exclusive (see other
> thread). - jack+ardour+sc+pd+.. work just great with USB soundcard(s).
> It won't beat a PCI-Soundcard Desktop PC in performance but that's not a
> point. - I have not yet tried Firewire audio, but ext. 1394-harddisks
> work fine. (beware it's a 4pin connector only - no power via 1394
> connector as with most PC laptops!)

Reportedly Ricoh Firefire chips (which the R50 used) aren't so good for
some multimedia tasks.

> Dual Core is quite well supported. I'd rather buy 2x32bit that 1x64bit -
> at least for another year or so ;) - but Lenovo is not the cheap
> solution. you might get similar performance with a Latitude D620.

I just reviewed the offerings. The D620 offers some better cheap
options (under $1000, the R60s are all Celerons), but by time you are
looking at C2D T7200, they are neck and neck in price and the Thinkpad
offers the nicer screen.