laptop noise (was Re: [linux-audio-user] intel core 2 duo and amd turion 64x2)

From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <eric@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 10 2007 - 21:44:37 EET

On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 02:04:40PM -0500, carmen wrote:
> On Sat Mar 10, 2007 at 01:47:13PM -0500, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> > > everything is made by Compal, Quanta, and ASUS. can you really
> > > discriminate by western "brand" ?
> >
> > I bought an ASUS "whitebook" last year. It felt good not to pay for
> > an OS I wasn't going to use. But, now I wonder if it was such a good
> > idea. I can't seem to find an extra battery to buy anywhere. Is
> > this a general
> im still glad i went with the whitebook though. it was about half the
> price of a macbook pro with the same specs, and still a nice metal
> case... plus it has a row of pageup/down/home/end keys on the right
> edge i cant imagine going without for any extended
> irssi/firefox/manpage paging..

Yes, price/performance was one of my considerations, too. And I also
have the row of navigation keys which are indeed good to have.

Another question ...

I have my laptop running fairly well now with 2.6.20.1 patched with
patch-2.6.20-rt8 and Rui's rtirq script. jack, jack_alsamidi, patchage,
specimen, seq24 work fine along with my usb midi keyboard.

One issue though, I'm getting a nasty zipper noise in one monitor
connected to the edirol ua-25 whenever any keyboard, trackpad, disk or
video activity happens. If I unplug from the power supply and run on
battery the noise goes away. Everything (laptop and 2 active monitors)
are on the same power strip. ua-25 and remote25 are usb powered. I
recall someone else reporting something similar recently.

Is there anything I can try to do to get rid of the noise when plugged
into power?

-Eric Rz.