[linux-audio-user] (very) low-end recording solution

From: steev <mcconville.steve@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 11 2007 - 21:04:07 EET

Hi I've a friend who's planning to record lessons for the language
courses they teach but doesn't know a great deal about computers and
seemingly only has access to very old hardware. I was wondering if
anyone else has experience in using linux audio on win-98/me era
machines, and could point me at a distro or any packages that would be
useful for a (very) low-end recording solution for the beginner.

Recommending new hardware isn't completely out of the question (I think
 an external HDD and a CD writer is a bare minimum, and we'll be buying
a mic of course), but I'd rather get them up & running with as little
extra expense as possible.

I've been using Agnula & now 64studio for the last few years but I
mostly work in Csound/Blue and SC, so I have slightly skewed view of the
linux audio world :-/

Thanks all.