Re: [linux-audio-user] Recommendations for SPDIF/AESEBU

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+la@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com>
Date: Wed Mar 14 2007 - 14:57:08 EET

Bill Adair wrote:

> The Perpetual Technologies devices (P-1A D/D & P-3A D/A) were very
> successful a few years ago with their hardware based upsampling.

Success == "sold a lot"?

> I'm hoping to
> achieve something similar by writing upsampling code that can operate in non-real
> time on a PC chip.

Are you aware of the Shannon Nyquist Sampling Theorem:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist-Shannon_Sampling_Theorem

Its corollary is that if you downsample and then upsample, the data
destroyed during the downsampling can *never* be recreated.

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo
"We can forgive you for killing our children but we can't forgive
you for making us kill yours."
-- Golda Meir, one of the founders of the State of Israel.