Re: [linux-audio-user] To MacBook or not to MacBook, that's the question

From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 19 2007 - 18:36:11 EET

On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 10:05:21PM -0700, Ken Restivo wrote:

> But, I don't recall hearing a peep about ThinkPads from this group,
> which leads me to wonder if perhaps they are not suited for audio for
> some reason or another? Maybe they don't have the latest/greatest
> dual-core CPU's on them yet? Or maybe IBM's installation of
> "Treacherous Computing" chips in the things made Linux users steer
> clear of them?

I liked my previous generation Thinkpad (R50). I only "upgraded" because it
was stolen. I had some trouble with the firewire (I never persued it,
but I couldn't make a Miranda DV-Bridge+ work), but everything else just
worked perfectly under the first version of Ubuntu I tried on it (5.10 I
think. Before that it had RHEL3, which had numerous problems with
wireless and power saving features).

I would say that that thinkpad was a very solid machine. The r60s with
Intel graphics look good as well. Alas, current Thinkpads with ATI
graphics now use X1x00 chips, which I refuse to graple with. Some
current thinkpads use Intel graphics, which I would be happy with, but
they don't offer the best LCDs with Intel graphics. Still, they do
offer a nice 1400x1050 display, with Intel, which is better than I've
seen offered with Intel graphics from anyone else.