[linux-audio-user] Re: writing a realtime app in python

From: Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 20 2007 - 16:00:38 EET

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki:

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 06:55:53PM -0500, Jack O'Quin wrote:
> > On 3/19/07, Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > You could code those parts of the program in C or C++ to avoid
> > memory management in the "harder" realtime portions of your
> > application. With sufficiently large ringbuffers (or the like), the
> > other parts can probably be written in python with some higher
> > latency.

Well, Python is not so bad for realtime use, since the garbage collector
is referencial. Its not optimal or realtime safe in any way, but in
practice it works a lot better than other languages.

> An option to consider is controlling ecasound from python. I've had a
> good deal of fun building things this way in the past and hope to get
> back to it this year.
>
> It works fairly well. The logic and configuration of your program is
> fine in python ... it just sends control information to ecasound while
> ecasound handles all the details of communicating with jackd.

Other python alternatives are RTcmix:
http://music.columbia.edu/cmc/RTcmix/use/python.html

Or SuperCollider:
(Couldn't find link, but I think I remember hearing about some
stuff somewhere)

Or PD:
http://grrrr.org/ext/py/

I'm sure there are other ways too. CSound for example.