RE: [linux-audio-user] Re: B3 emulator

From: Nick Copeland <nickycopeland@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 21 2007 - 20:43:40 EET

>Not sure if this would be practical, but would there be a way of
>adding the Beatrix synth engine into Bristol as an "alternate B3"
>sound?

I would be quite happy to make the existing interface be a front end
beatrix, this is an awesome emulation and considerably more advanced than
the current bristol algorithm. The main issues I see would be an alsa and
jack midi and audio interface. Bristol has most of that now although I am
not sure if it would be interesting for bristol to subsume beatrix totally,
more just using brighton for the GUI could be the best option. The benefit
of not putting beatrix in bristol is that enhancements to beatrix itself
should not really be a separate stream to a bristol implementation, however
I very much doubt anybody else would want to maintain an integrated bristol
desig

I actually have this code and will have a look at how much work it would be
to have them interact.

>unless there is some major inherent problem with Bristol
>which I don't know of.

Bristol is pretty much tied into its existing midi and audio interface
libraries that link primarily to OSS audio/midi, ALSA audio/midi and Jack
audio. This program uses its own audio and midi interface and a tight
integration would be problematic - it would have to be a separately
maintained stream and that is exactly what author wanted to avoid with the
mildly restrictive license. These interfaces would have to change to make
this a useful emulator - a jack interface is a minimal requirement.

As I said, I don't see why this should be an emulation of the bristol audio
engine however the GUI might look pretty enough to justify it driving
beatrix.

Nick.